!Spoiler Alert!
"Do you know these roses?" He said, drawing out his pocket-book, in which were treasured up some dead flowers.
"No!" she replied, with innocent curiosity. "Did I give them to you?"
"No ! Vanity, you did not. You may have worn sister roses very probably."
She looked at them, wondering for a minute, then she smiled a little as she said -
"They are from Helstone, are they not? I know the deep indentations round the leaves. Oh, have you been there? When were you there?"
"I wanted to see the place where Margaret grew to what she is, even at the worst time of all, when I hod no hope of ever calling her mine. I went there on my return from Havre."
"You must give them to me, " she said, trying to take them out of his hand with gentle violence.
"Very well. Only you must pay me for them!"
"How shall I ever tell Aunt Shaw?" she whispered, after some time of delicious silence.
"Let me speak to her."
"Oh, no!" I owe it to her - but what will she say?"
"I can guess. Her first exclamation will be, 'That man? ' "
"Hush! " said Margaret, "or I shall try and show you your mother's indignant tones as she says, 'That woman!' "
!End of Spoiler! : )
So I finished North and South. I had to post the ending for a certain person who is very vocal in her dislike of the ending in the movie. : ) She hates the ending of the movie so much, because it's too romantic for her, but just imagine this ending on a screen! If "delicious silence " doesn't equal kissing I don't know what else it could mean. : ) There is actually very little of that sort of dialogue in the book. Alot of time is spent and the relationship between Margaret and her parents, which is frustrating sometimes. The book also spends alot of time trying to show both sides of the beginning of unions. My fav
orite part of the book is the gradually built relationship between Mr. Thornton and Nicholas, from hated enemies to reluctant mutual respect and eventually frendship. I think I like seeing how these two characters grow through the story because of how well the movie showed this. And of course I love Margaret! : ) How could you not?
orite part of the book is the gradually built relationship between Mr. Thornton and Nicholas, from hated enemies to reluctant mutual respect and eventually frendship. I think I like seeing how these two characters grow through the story because of how well the movie showed this. And of course I love Margaret! : ) How could you not?So, if there is anyone out there still reading my one-member-only book club, what is your favorite part of the book, and if you haven't read it yet you should get a copy it's great.

4 comments:
O, "delicious silence", I like that. The part about her impersonating his mom was funny. That made me laugh.
Rebekah, You shouldn't read into stuff...they were just looking into one another's eyes.
The male lead in this movie is very cool. Like a perfect Scallop he's got a hard shell made for cracking and is evidently (delicious silence) found pleasing within.
I'm definitely adding this to my book list of things to read...sounds like good airplane reading! :)
Post a Comment