![]()
Since it seems like the book review thing is not progressing I thought I'd post some movie reviews. They are both based on books that I have read so it kind of counts as a book review...... sort of. Just got finished watching the Pride and Prejudice with Keira Knightley. Even though both of the main actors can not act and Keira Knightley never for a moment lets you forget that she is Keira Knightley, I find myself liking this movie a lot. Of course you can't for a second think "Colin Firth" or the whole thing comes tumbling down, but the filming is beautiful. Love the directing, the filming, the camera angles, the music, occasionally even the characters. Keira Knightley does exert her self once or twice such as the scene where she is begging her father not to let Lydia go to Brighton, which I find a little amusing seeing as the actresses moral standing doesn't exactly fit with the scene, the acting must have been very good to come across so concerned. Love the camera shots during the dance. There is one really long take going through the whole house with no breaks. It's like your there walking around with everyone else. And I love the shot where she is on the swing after Charlotte tells her is going to marry the cousin. And I love the second proposal scene, sorry can't help it.

What's up with the Narnia movies ending on such downers??? Loved the first movie and thought everything in it was perfect. Loved Prince Caspian also until I watched it with a certain very serious someone who currently lives on the other side of the world in quest of martyrdom who pointed out all the flaws and American Hollywood insertions. Thanks a lot, certain someone, now I can't watch it without cringing!!! : ) Watched Voyage of the Dawn Treader this weekend (as a side note: What's so cool about 3D? It amazingly fuzzy and gives me a headache.) Was prepared for it to be a total flop after hearing all about it from Tobi, our resident movie and music critic, but it wasn't that bad. Of course it was not nearly as good as the book, and they sort of made up their own plot and forgot all about Lewis', but because of my low expectations it was very enjoyable. One thing bugged me. The sea serpent looked like something out of Pirate's not Narnian in the least. And would some one please tell me what the lighting was all about??? This is what happens when you let the special effects people have too much say. Edmund, Lucy, Caspian and Reepicheep were true to character and wonderful, and the ship was beautiful, and they did a very good job on the dragon. I've cried at every ending of these movies and this one was the worst knowing that they are probably not going to make another. When I read the books as a kid Narnia was real to me, so real that the thought of having to come back to the this world after being there was shattering. When Lucy closes that door I feel exactly the same way.

7 comments:
I don't like that Pride and Prejudice and esp. don't like K.Knightly. Watching that movie was a waste of my time. I do not care for her at all...and I hope I never waste my time watching that movie more than once.
I was never very interested in Narnia for some reason...
You asked me...
Wow, Mom your review of these movies is so interesting. : )
Well, at least I commented :-p
I agree with you that there are a lot of parts in this movie that I do like, but I wouldn't necessarily watch it again. I liked the camera angles and music especially - I liked Jane in this movie more than in the BBC version. There were some other aspects of the family relationship that I liked better in this movie - I think they were just presented better.
I haven't watched the newest Narnia, so I can't really comment on that. :)
Wow, all these posts and pictures from the Humphreys. I like it... don't stop now! ;)
Sorry I didn't post earlier, I was having one of those lonely days. I was kind of hoping that the Narnia movie was showing while we were there so I could go watch it with you guys. So I was disappointed. I pretty much agree with you about Pride and Prejudice. I really liked some of the filming but the acting was awful.
I like that version of P&P. I usually get really annoyed when they make new versions of movies that are already perfect, but I think this one was good enough to justify it. First, it was top notch quality. The filming was awesome, the music was beautiful, and I actually liked the casting. I only had two issues with the casting: Keira Nightly annoys me and Elijah Wood was born to play Charles Bingly, you can't even argue against it. Maybe there was a scheduling problem, but Elijah Wood just IS Charles Bingly. Couldn't you see him in the huge head of hair and the period costume, playing such a fruity character like Charles Bingly? But besides that, I loved the casting. Especially The dad and Collins.
Narnia: I expected it to be stupid, and it was stupid, so I enjoyed whispering sarcastic remarks and injecting silly dialogue in Aimee's ear through the whole thing.
Just because it's a kids movie doesn't mean you can eject everything adult about it. And just because it's a movie doesn't mean you can right an entirely new plot to showcases ridiculous CGI scenes. And any attempts at theological messages failed, not that I read Narnia for Theology.
:) Tobi you're so funny, yes Elijah Wood would have made a good Bingley except he would have to be happy a lot more then he's used to. Dido, about Narnia and I even forgot to mentions the audacity they had in using a Country song to end the movie. AAAHHHhhh that was annoying. Will not forgive them for that.
Post a Comment