Monday, February 7, 2011

Another Movie.............Sorry

This is still a book blog, it's just a book blog on vacation.



I watched this movie last week. It's probably the sixth or seventh time I've seen it and I love it every time. It is based on the Japanese movie The Seven Samurai, which I have never seen and probably will never see. Subtitles just kill a movie for me. But it would have to be good if it's anything like The Magnificent Seven. Here's the basic plot: Little Mexican village is being terrorized by a bandit and his gang who take all their food and keep them scared and in poverty. The men of this village decide they need to do something about it. They cross the border to buy guns but after seeing Yul Brynner's character, Chris, win a showdown against several men, they change their mind and with Chris' help advertise for gunmen to help them free their village. So this group of heartless, care-for-no-one gunmen help save the village. But of course they do end up caring and that's the point.

The casting was great!!! Each actor is perfect for their part, even though at the time some of them didn't think so. Love Brynner, of course, but Steve McQueen is great playing second fiddle with a pink shirt. : ) Every character is interesting, with their own storyline and "moment". One of the funny things about the casting in this movie is the choice of actor for the character Chico. The character is suppose to be Mexican but is played by a young German actor. : ) Yeah.....funny. But it works well.



The dialogue is great! Very brief, no long speeches or scenes just a lot of action and great one liners. I don't usually like western but I love this movie. Great music, great casting, great plot, great dialogue and filmed on location in Mexico. Highly recommended.
One of my favorite parts is Chico playing at bullfighting with a cow that doesn't want to fight. : )


6 comments:

Caleb & Lisa Humphrey said...

You should've told me you were watching it, I would have come. I love that movie. The punk kid who thinks he's all that... well we'll just say I'd go for yule brynner first.

~Krista~ said...

chico: "clap hands he says"
he was humiliated
chris: "The graveyards are full of boys who are very young and very proud."
hahaha.... at least the punk gives up his wild exciting life for the girl...that shows some maturity right lisa-sis?

[Chris and Vin were just shot at, hitting the tip of Chris' cigar]
Vin: You elected?
Chris: Na. I got nominated real good.

[to Chico]
Vin: "Gently boy....gently." ;o)

[O'Reilly is teaching the villagers how to shoot]
O'Reilly: Miguel, didn't I tell you to squeeze? Hm? Just like when you're milking a goat,
Miguel: It's that I get excited!
O'Reilly: Well don't get excited! Now this time squeeze. Slowly, but squeeze. All right now, squeeze.
[Miguel shoots]
O'Reilly: *Squeeze*! I'll tell you what. Don't shoot the gun. Take the gun like this, and you use it like a club, all right?

Vin: You know - I've been in some towns where the girls weren't all that pretty. In fact I've been in some towns where they're downright ugly. But it's the first time I've been in a town where there are no girls at all, 'cept little ones. You know if we're not careful we could have quite a social life here.

hahaha

Village Boy 1: If you get killed, we take the rifle and avenge you.
Village Boy 2: And we see to it there's always fresh flowers on your grave.
O'Reilly: That's a mighty big comfort.
Village Boy 2: I told you he'll appreciate that!
O'Reilly: Well, now don't you kids be too disappointed if your plans don't work out.
Village Boy 1: We won't. If you stay alive, we'll be just as happy.
Village Boy 2: Maybe even happier.
Village Boy 1: Maybe.

hahah i love how the kids like...maybe...hehehe.....

[Referring to Britt]
Villager: If he's the best with the gun and the knife, with whom does he compete?
Chris: Himself.

The knife guy is one of my favorite...

[the gunman talking about their unwonderful lives]
Vin: "Home none. Wife none. Kids.....none. Prospects zero. Suppose I left anything out?"

awww so sad

sorry...got a little carried away with my favorite lines....
best western...... =o)

Dragonfly said...

Wow, Kris, you just quoted the whole movie. :) Almost! You forgot the best one though.

(to bandit)
chris: "Solving your problems isn't our business"

vin: "We deal in lead, friend"

Dragonfly said...

Lisa, we are planning on watching it again soon. We'll call you. :)

Rachel said...

Haha, I haven't watched this movie in ages! I grew up on westerns... all those brothers. ;) This used to be one of my favorites...

Stardust Melody said...

Hi Rebecca! Weve seen that movie over and over here at our house too! It's a good one....