Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Half Way There Yet?

We kind of prolonged the time for finishing Climbing the Mango Trees because it's the first book and we started it on short notice. I've updated the reading schedule and you can find it to the right on the sidebar. Everyone should be done with Climbing the Mango Trees by June 6th so you guys have a lot of time now.

So, now that everyone should be half way(up to chapter 15) through Climbing the Mango Trees we should begin some official discussion on the first half. Has everyone gotten their copy yet? Are you all half way through? What do you think so far? What are your favorite parts out of what you've read so far? What have you found interesting? Hopefully we can fill this comment section up with a lot of book discussion.

Also, I'm giving you a quick reminder to get a hold of a copy of Small Miracles of the Holocaust as soon as possible. We're starting it on June 7th and that's gonna be here in no time. Unless you want to be stuck behind all the discussion, get your copy now.

Thanks,
Enjoy the discussion...

8 comments:

TwiceBorn said...

Well, I suppose I'll start it off.

My favorite chapters so far would be 6,7 and 15.

Chapter 6 was great because of when she equated herself with the heroines in the romance novels; it cracked me up. I can detect a bit of arrogance in her, or mabye just a small amount of self absorption. Although, I think that might be unavoidable in a memoir. She definitely paints herself out to be the strong willed, opinionated, free spirited, spunky, wild child. I found it very amusing though. It definitely makes for a more interesting read when she's such a character.

I thought the way she described her strange, distant relationship with her sister was kind of compelling, and then, how she reacted to the cousins death. Hm, I'm finding rabies terrifying all of the sudden. Good thing it never makes its way up to Alaska.

And then in chapter 15, poor Hindi teacher. I really felt sorry for him and Madhur herself for feeling so responsible for it. But I have to admit, I did find some humor at the poor man's expense. Come on, a little girl stabbing a grown man in the eye can be funny? Right? In a frightfull, I hope that never happens to anyone kind of way.

What is it with this lady and food? You can't read this book on an empty stomach or else you'll start chewing on the cover.

The joint family idea does sound wonderful at first glance, but I can see how it would never work out.

I love the whole "recording the family history" sort of thing. I think I should get an old beat up tome and write out my family history and tidbits of relevant information and pass it down to my children to keep adding more. How cool would that be? To find an old huge book that tells you about you great great grandfather's family and their traditions?

Chord said...

I haven't even got that far I am still on like the second chapter and I haven't really been reading it lately heheh.

Suzie said...

Chord, I couldn't really get into it until after the first couple of chapters so you need to keep reading.

It is interesting. I love to read about other people's lives. I don't care for her uncle. I love the food parts, but she should have put all the recipes in her book. The chicken curry made my mouth water. And all the spices and chutneys and fruits..okay I'm getting more out of the book than just the food, but I'm past chapter 15 and afraid I'll give something away.

Let's see...I liked how the servants brought the food to school and served it to them. That would have been nice as a kid. Better than bologna and mustard sandwiches. I don't like the joint family idea...I already find myself wanting to tell Caleb & Lisa my ideas....poor things.

More later...gotta go.

Rachel said...

I finally got my book, but am only on chapter 2...I'm planning on getting caught up this weekend. I'll join the discussion then. :)

I might not be able to do "Small Miracles"...it's going to come during a final and camp week, so I won't have much time to read...I'll put it on my list of 'down the road.' ;)

Rachel said...

I have found this book absolutely fascinating thus far. I think the thing that has been most poignant for me is comparing life in India (at the time period being described) to the things I observed while in Southeast Asia. There are lots of similarities, as well as lots of differences.

Maybe it is just me, but I kept expecting something 'big' was going to happen in each chapter. I felt like maybe the story was building, shadowing events, but nothing has happened yet. Maybe it's still coming...I just have to be patient. :) If not, it is still a good story and recollection of her childhood. I like the way she writes.

I especially enjoy how she describes smells. Several times when describing a scene, she gives a small glimpse of what she was seeing or hearing, and then dives right into what it smelled like: rooms, people, foods, etc. I am very much a smell-oriented person, so those little details really made the difference for me. Makes me feel like I'm really there. ;)

I think the thing that has been most interesting has been her descriptions of the various cultures and the influences that played in her family's customs - dress, food, manners, schooling. Multi-cultural families are not uncommon today, but I think they were at that time.

I can't help but think about how hard it must have been to be a missionary in India during that time - and a missionary there today would probably face many of the same challenges. Family was everything, and penetrating the family to reach an individual would have been very difficult. You would have to reach the family all at one time, or at least the family's head first, or it would be very difficult for someone to break away and become a Christian in the full sense of the word.

Jackie said...

I started reading Small Miracles of the Holocaust a couple weeks ago off/on. The stories are both depressing as well as dumbfounding! Devastating circumstances turn into amazing “coincidences” and leave you with mixed emotions, saying, “I would hate to experience that!” or, “what an amazing experience to be able to tell my grandchildren!” Either way, it's a good read so far. :)

~Kluane said...

I'm not quite to chp. 15 in Climbing the Mango Trees yet...but almost...I was telling Bekah about this book and she said I should suggest it on here...
A Wrinkle in Time,
bye Madeline L'Engle

TwiceBorn said...

Just finished Climbing the Mango Trees. More on that later.

Jackie, looks like you have a head start on the Small Miracles book. We're going to start reading it this next Sunday. We'll join in the discution once we've read some of it.