Hello Hello Hello
Welcome to the Dragonfly Bookclub. This club has been years in the planning because Rebekah’s been trying to start one for years, but was just too lazy to get around to it. So even though the one typing right now is me(Tobi), this is officially Rebekah’s club. She’s the one who gets to make the rules, break the rules, make all the decisions, veto book suggestions, etc. I’m kinda like the mouth of Sauron you know? She’s the evil dark lord who gets to decree all her evil schemes and I’m the one that will take the time to tell you all of them because she’s too lazy to post them herself. Not that she won’t ever post, I’m sure she will eventually.
Kind of book club:
This is not just a blog book club, it’s also a local book club. Hopefully we’ll end up meeting at coffee shops and stuff like that to have dialogues about the portion of the book we’ve all read. The blog is for those who can’t make it, or live out of town e.g. Anchor Point or PA if any of the people from there are interested. The comment section of each post is going to be used more as a forum, so they won’t need to be moderated. You can give ideas of what books you’d like to read, talk about what you think about the book you’re reading at the time, talk about what times or places would work best if we end up meeting somewhere. Also, if you write a full length review of a book, you can email it to Bekah and she can post it on the blog. If you know people who might be interested and aren’t up on the blogworld, they can still participate so let them know.
How to join:
Well for now, drop off a comment below. Let us know you’re interested, tell us any ideas you might have. Give us a list of books you’d like to read and any feedback. Remember to include the book title and author.
I’ll be posting more in the next few days to tell everyone how things will go down, but that’s all for now. Thanks.
Tuesday, May 12, 2009
Welcome
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
I guess I'll start off on books I'd like to read.
The Fallacy Detective
Nathaniel and Hans Bluedorn
Pilgrim's Progress
Paul Bunyan
Fly By Night
Frances Hardinge
Those are the only ones that come immediately to mind. I would like to read old medieval classics. And there's authors I've been told of like Rosemary Sutcliff who I've never gotten around to checking out. I'd also love to read some of the really old SciFi classics.
There's actually a lot I want to read. I'll think of more later and mention them when we're out of titles.
Hey, I noticed we have two new followers. Thanks, but I have a quick question: Are you guys planning on joining the club?
Bakah just said: "No one's allowed to follow unless they are going to read the books and discuss them."
Sorry, she makes the rules. I'm just the Mouth of Sauron remember? If you want to join let us know with a comment. Thanks.
I'd love to join!!! Looks like we already got several suggestions to start with and I'm having a brain cramp at the moment, so I won't suggest any more. But if I think of anyt, I'll let you know. ;)
How awesome would it be if we could plan a time to have a meeting in Fairbanks AND the PA chapter, and webcam it or something? Haha...don't know if that would work, but it would be fun. Or, the Fairbanks chapter could make a trip to PA and we could hold a meeting or two here in the Lehigh Valley. :o)
Can old fogeys join?
The Fallacy Detective sounds interesting and I have always meant to read the Sutcliff books. Though, I am not interested in reading any of your weird books, Tobi.
How about The Kids from Nowhere by George Guthridge....that was an interesting book.
This is a fun and friendly forum. Attitude will not be tolerated.
Rachel: Yes, I've considered webcaming to. I think it would be fun if somewhat amusing. I actually skype with Joannah every once in a while.
Mom: *gasp* So much closed mindedness. But of course old fogies can join.
I'm thinking of composing a list of nominated books because me and Bekah have been thinking of a lot of good ones lately.
Also, you just know a book club is gonna be great when it's ran like mordor.
Just added a "Books We're Consiedering" widget to the side bar. If anyone has anymore ideas I'll be happy to add them.
Tobi, I think the correct response to "Can old fogies join?" would be "You're not an old fogey, Mom!" :o)
I think The Maltese Falcon sounds interesting...I've never read it. Plus it's written by a Hammett, so...
I am half way through the fallacy detectives. It's good and easy and there are activities to do at the end of each chapter, so that could be part of the discussion. I might like to join. I probably can read any book and like it and I will be sure to add a positive note to all the discussions.
Well sounds fun! I've been looking through The Fallacy Detective it looks good...I love Pilgrims Progress (but I've only read a easy version so I'd definantly be interested in reading that....and I think the Sutcliff books are reallllllllly good books to discuss...and Mrs. Humphrey I read The Kids from Nowhere....it was an Awesome book! Tobi and Bekah have heard my suggestions before....so I'm not going to suggest anything right now.
Thank you, Rachel, you're sweet.
Oh, yeah...
I guess that response would have been the correct one Rachel. Sorry, my bad. lol
No, my Mom knows I don't think she's an old fogey.
Also, if you click on any of the books going by on the wiget I added, it will give you information about them.
I'll Join. Do we have to read every single book?
Count me in, the only thing is though, is that I might have a hard time getting a hold of the books we choose to read but we'll see. If i have any suggestions
I'll tell you. I like the Rosemary Sutcliff idea. I have one of her books right now that I haven't read. It's called Outcast.
Jo
Post a Comment