Hi everyone! Where you all able to get a copy of Climbing the Mango Trees? I hope so, it's interesting so far. I've always wanted to study India's history, it seems very complex and not what I thought at first. I thought Indian culture would be more like Arab culture, closed to western influence and strict about their religion and women. There is a lot of terms in this book that I don't understand, it would take forever to look them all up but a did look a few up. Oh! but first how many of you knew that Om meant "I am"? What do you think of that? Interesting huh?
So I did a little research on the Indian caste system. It is so complex. Every caste has many subcastes. But there is four main castes Brahmins, Kshatriyas, Vaishyas, and Shudras in order from highest to lowest. Kayastha, the caste the author belongs to, it somehow is connected to the Brahmins this makes her upper caste. I get the feeling that not all of India lived like her. I'd like to read about life for one of the lower caste during the same time period written by the lower caste but since they didn't read or write that is probably very rare.
Here is a map of India during the British rule.
You can see Delhi in the center at the top. Couldn't find a map of Old Delhi.
Here is a sample of Sanskrit. It is very pretty. I wish English looked like that with all the curly things. : )
The internet has shut down on me three times since I started this post so just one more thing.
How would you like to live in a joint family like the author did???? : ) I think it sounds like a lot of fun. Let us know what you all think of the book so far.
Tuesday, May 19, 2009
Research
Author: Dragonfly at 8:26 PM
Labels: Climbing the Mango Trees
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
My copy should be here any day. :)
Thanks for the background information. I'm really interested in reading this because we have an Indian couple in our church, in fact they are getting married this Saturday! He has been in our church for several years, and through my dad and another preacher, got in contact with this girl from India. He just went a couple weeks ago to bring her back and they are having a big western ceremony this Saturday.
Anyway, we went out to lunch and talked some about her life in India, but she's obviously been a little busy so we haven't got a lot of time to chat. ;) I'm looking forward to learning more from her, and from this book.
Rachel, I know you're going to like this book. Did you know that the author is a chef or something anyways all through the book it talks about Indian food and it has a bunch of recipes in the back. : ) I'm assuming your Indian friends wife-to-be speaks english. You are blessed to meet so many people from other countries. I alway wonder when I read a book like this if others from the country would agree with the authors represetation of their country.
Joint family living once appealed to me- when I was a little kid. I loved big family gatherings, and I loved being part of a big family. As I read Climbing the Mango Tree, I realize it is terrible. Perhpas being without God, perhpas the same heart of the people who invented and inforce a caste system. I also Read Wild Swans, their polite system of elder and ancester worship appears to be just a power issue. An issue joined with cruelty and no care for people, just lust for power. joy
Hey Mrs. Joy, you must have finished your China book. How do you like Climbing the Mango Trees so far?? What chapter are you on? I agree about the joint family thing. At first it sounded like alot of fun, but as a read more of the book I can see how it would be unfair to the adult children. I felt for her mother. Rachel, have you started your book yet?? Let me know where you are and if you like it.
Post a Comment