Hi everyone!!! Sauron here. : ) Those of you who know me well will understand this blog, the rest of you might get a little frustrated, though I hope not. Or you who do know me well might get frustrated just aticipating how you know this blog will be ran. : ) I apoligize in advance. The only reason I'm involving myself with this whole blog thing at all is because this blog will be based on books (my first love) and people's opinions. As soon as Tobi set this up I found lots of books I'd like to read but know I won't by myself. I've already picked the first book out and am having a hard time keeping myself from reading it. I'll tell you the name in a little bit. So rule......... : ) the number one rule is there are no rules and when I do make rules they are subject to change without notice. : )hehehe Just kidding. I'll start with answering Aimee's question. No, you don't have to read every book. I am not planning on reading every book myself. In fact if there is a book you'd like to read and several other members of the book club want to read it we can work it so that you could do a guest post or something like that. I want lots of book suggestions! My vision for this blog is for it to be more like a public forum then a one person blog, with maybe several books going at once. Since we all pretty much read the same stuff, me and Tobi thought it would be fun just to read the books we are already going to read sometime, at the same time. : ) So we can talk about them. That's what this blog is really all about, talking about books. That is going to require input. No following without commenting!! There has got to be a way to take followers off it they don't participate. hhhmmm I'll have to ask Tobi. I want everyone to use this blog to discuss books they've read. What you liked, what you didn't like. Don't worry about making your comments too long. And because the comments aren't moderated you and someone else could have a whole discussion with me having to check my blog every few hours. : ) I love it!! So.....rules,

26 comments:
I would add, just because you don't have to read every book doesn't mean picking and choosing is encouraged. I, for one (and hopefully many others), want to be a part of this book club for two reasons:
1. So that, as Bekah has said, I can read books I was already planning on reading with someone who will dicuss them with me.
And 2. So that I will read books I would have never got around to reading otherwise.
So just because a book doesn't look like it's up your alley, doesn't mean you shouldn't take a second look at it. Maybe branching out will be nice for some people, like me, and some closed-minded Mothers. No, I'm just joking Mom, you don't have to read any of my weird books.
Rebekah and rules....too funny.
FYI: Not sure how many they have in stock at B&N, but if they have them in stock you can request a hold online.
Did I miss it? How long do we have before we start the book?
Watch it, Tob, you're not getting a snarky attitude are you?
As soon as possible. I think I'll wait till Monday to start reading it.
I hope everyone understands you're joking Mom.
BTW, for all you IE users out there, I fixed the book widget thing on the sidebar so you can see it now. I didn't want to discriminate against the minority who uses IE. This book club is open to all people no matter what their preference, Safari, Firefox, or Internest Explorer. All are welcome here. We don't judge people on their browser preference, but on the content of their character.
But for the record, please stop using IE. Please...
I can't imagine anyone taking us too serious here...but just in case...PLEASE KNOW THAT ALL IS JUST LOVING BANTER BETWEEN TOBI AND ME and I will not be seriouly getting onto anyone here.
Don't you have to have a certain kind of computer to have anything other then IE???
Kluane, you don't need a special computer. You just download the browser you want.
ok kluane, go to google and look up "firefox"
get it, you won't regret it (har a rhyme)...
Rule number seven is that if the dark lord doesn't like your post she'll delete it with extreme prejudice...
I'm already a good way through Alex and the Ironic Gentleman so I'm gonna finish that. Accuse me of being shallow or what ever but I feel like I've been asked to read to many books about india/china/south america just for the sake of... being open minded, learning about other cultures and how to hate my own... well maybe that was just high school but at any rate I've decited to abstain from the first book and hope to get caught up in the second.
I'd like to suggest "the road" as book to be considered.
kidding... not really but I know it's as good as vetoed anyway. I'd actualy like to recomend a book called "raptor red" I read it a long long time ago and I'm pretty sure it filled with evolution sillyness but ITS A NOVEL ABOUT RAPTORS PEOPLE!!! THEY'RE AWESOME!
ok I'm done...
Since we all have to make suggestions, I suggest The White Lion Chronicles:
http://www.amazon.com/Rise-Dibor-White-Lion-Chronicles/dp/0972548602
I have to read the first book to approve for our school library, just started the first chapter last night and so far it's pretty good. Think Lord of the Rings meets King Arthur. I think others who are in this group might like it as well.
I'm headed to B&N tonight to pick up the first book...sounds great, Bek!
Just remember, Firefox isn't all it's cracked up to be...
http://tim.timlytle.net/view/1239939498
Not that it's bad...it's still far better than IE. Get Chrome if you can. :)
I suggest "Alex and the Ironic Gentlemen" and "Timothy and the Dragons Gate". And "The Cat of Bubastes"(G.A. Henty)
what's the difference between firefox and IE? besides the names....it's just something new I'll have to learn....
I suggest Carry On Mr. Bowditch by Jean Lee Latham and Animal Farm (don't remember who it's bye...but it makes for a VERY interesting discussion) and any Rosemary Sutcliff books...I might think of some other ones later...but I'm more into the old classics right now...and can I get the first book at the library?
This blog comes at a great time for me. I'm almost finished with school and now I'll get to actually read books that I want.
Book suggestion:I'm a Stranger Here Myself: Notes on Returning to America After 20 Years Away by Bill Byson
I have it on my goodreads.com list. But I'm sill looking forward to reading new stuff as well.
I love all the suggestions! It's going to be hard to pick one. Jo, I just saw your comment. We'll try to give you all more head's up in the future. I need to know who all has the first book already. For those of you who live in North Pole don't bother looking at the library, Aimee just checked out thier only copy. B&N has it, though. By the way, there is a blog follower who has not commented. :( And what's up with the techno talk, this isn't a Geek Blog!!!
Sam is in, even if he hasn't commented. :)
We checked our B&N tonight and they didn't have the book, so we will order off of Amazon, but it will take at least a week to get here. You guys can start though, and we'll try to get caught up. :)
I guess I'll join... I don't have much else to do right now... Here's some good books,,, "Because they hate" and "Small Miracles of the Holocaust".. Also I think it's kind of dumb to just read the books that only interest you instead of reading them all... Isn't the purpose of a book club to expand your horizon on the types of books you read.. I'm just afraid that I'm going to suffer through reading a book like, "Climbing the Mango Trees" (which sounds extremely boring) but when a book that I suggested comes up, that no one will read it.. I think there should be a rule that if you join you hafto read all the books if possible not just the one you feel like....
Anyways, I'm sorry, but that just happens to be the way I feel about it. What do you think?
So...since Aimee checked out the only book at the library...I guess I'll just wait to read it till she brings it back....why couldn't she read Bek's? I don't want to buy it 'cause I might not like it=o)
I know, we bought like 4 copies(which is every one they had at B&N) and got the only one from the library. We're just being book hogs. :) I think if you talked Aimee into it she might share with you, although, I'm reading the library copy right now. lol
I kinda want to talk about it already even though I just started it. I would have never read this kind of a book before, but it's interesting enough.
Before I start....I'm affraid I wouldn't be able to jion if I wanted to (Which I do) cause I just can't find the time. I just wanted to warn you...
DON"T READ 'Old Man and the Sea'(By Earnest Hemmingway)! It is Soooooooooo stupid! This old guy goes fishing and catches a REALLY big fish. He straps it to his boat, 'cause he can't bring it aboard, but by the time he reaches shore, the sharks ate it! It isn't even a good ending!.....O and I forgot to mention, he dreams about lions at the end....THAT DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH THE STORY!?!
....Sorry, I just had to rant about that. 8)
Hey some where i saw Tobias say that you might be reading so old sci fi books what would those be. Maybe i would join but i am already in another book club and if you are going to have to do speeches about stuff then i am not going to do it so just wanted to say that and find out what sci fi books you are going to be reading.
:)Absolutely no speeches, I promise Chord. All you have to do is leave a comment here after you read the book to tell us why you liked it or didn't like it. We'll let you know when we read anything sci-fi, ok?
Ok well i guess i will join even though some of the books i know are boring and some of them look boring but some of them like the next one the Holocaust one sound good. i dont really have any suggestions yet but i might think of something.
Reb....you should have started this about seven years ago. I haven't read in so long that I don't know if I even remember how.
Ive been looking for book suggestions though, since I don't have time to go look for myself anymore, and I MISS reading!! If it doesn't involve fat babies I don't get around to it. :O)
So yes, I want to join. (I bet Tobi is leaping for joy)
Oh...and I kind of liked The Old Man and the Sea. I'm not recommending it, I just felt the need to defend it a little bit since I think it was very well-written.
Oh...what is the ATB?
Hey Bek, welcome aboard. We're about half way through climbing the Mango Trees but you should get it to read anyways I think you'd enjoy it and it's not too long. I read a little of For Whom the Bell Toll and liked it so we'll keep Hemingway in mind. You'll have to research the ATB yourself. If I had to explain it would ruin all the fun.
Post a Comment